Sunday, August 11, 2013

Our fire from Coury's perspective


From my Friday...
On Friday morning, Emerson cried out for "Daddy" at 5:15. This was after a series of sleepless nights and Jesse's middle of the night proclamation of "I'm exhausted!" 
As I took my shower that morning -- a shower in a bathroom designed perfectly for children, one in which I imagined our two children from the day we bought the house -- I thought to myself, "Tonight, we'll make popcorn, cuddle on the couch, and watch Emerson's new Curious George movie." We needed to relax together as a family. 
While I ate my breakfast, Moe -- the cat I've loved for 12 years, my only roommate for five of those -- meowed his reminder to feed him. I cursed myself for neglecting him since Eliot's birth, filled his water bowl, rubbed behind his ear, and smiled at his responsive purr. 
Finally, I set off for work: kissing my family goodbye, wishing everyone a good day, and walking through my living room and bedroom -- the rooms Jesse and I spent hours scraping and painting ourselves just three years ago -- and off I went. 
------
Teachers entered the building completely drenched. The janitor posted "Wet floor" signs all over the halls. But still, I slipped. While talking to a co worker, I slipped and fell straight on my rear and elbow. No one laughed, which told me it must've looked as bad as it felt. When I told the secretary, she filled out the paperwork with concern in her eyes. I had to keep reassuring her and the nurse that I was okay. 
-----
At lunch, I learned the newest word for "good" was "fire." We laughed at teen slang. Hope you feel "fire." That's so "fire." Have a "fire" weekend, someone said. 
Two minutes later, my principal and secretary came from behind me, touched my shoulder and said, "Coury. We just got a call that your house is on fire."
----
We pull up. There's smoke pouring from my ceiling. I see my daddy and collapse. 
Mom pulls up. I collapse again. 
I sit on the sidewalk, searching desperately for my partner, my best friend, the only other person who knows this feeling exactly. Finally, I see him, and I run. 
---
The rest is a blur. A nightmarish blur of faces and words and tears and smoke. Moe wrapped in a blanket on the porch. Firefighters gasping for breath on my yard. Smoke hurling out of Emerson's window. A blur, and yet, one full of vivid pictures I can still see and smell and taste and hear. 
---
But we are blessed. One week before, I could've been home alone with the kids. We are alive. 
And my God the support. From family to friends to coworkers to community members we don't even know, the support, both mentally and financially, makes me dumbfounded. You guys are amazing. Truly. Please keep praying for us as we continue on this journey. 

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for Jesse and your loss. I am happy the cat got out and that no one is hurt. God was watching over you'all. Praying for you all.
    Kim and Keith Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse and Coury.... so sorry to hear about your loss. What a tragedy... and sorry for Moe too. But more than happy that you, Jesse, and your children are ok.
    Diana Thompson Smith

    ReplyDelete