Thursday, May 19, 2016

We didn’t know what we didn’t know


Seven years ago today, we didn’t know what we didn’t know.
We didn’t know we’d actually have three children, especially after doing the math one night on your deck and realizing – oh God – we’d have to have them two years apart or less.
We didn’t know we’d get a little girl with curly hair or two little boys that look just like me.
We didn’t know that the girl would be all you – hair, personality, sense of humor.
We didn’t know about the lost sleep, the sacrifices, or the complexities of leaving the house.
We didn’t know we’d find the beautiful place we found to call home.
We didn’t know about the fire, or the renovation, or the despair.
We didn’t know that the happiness we felt was nothing compared to what we feel now.
Today, we know all those things.
Thank you all the happiness over the last seven years.
Thank you for waiting for me as I figured out where I wanted to live and what I wanted to do.
Thank you for being an optimist, for being happy, for making me laugh.
Thank you for setting such an example for our whole family – for going back to school, for being an incredible person, for having so much patience.
Thank you for seeing the best in me and talking me off the ledge when I see the worst.
Thank you for always showing your hand, never hiding your love.
Thank you for those three little people that keep following us around, demanding food and attention.

I love you. Happy anniversary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment